Saturday, June 14, 2008

Granada

Hola de Granada!

I´m writing this from an internet cafe in Granada, Spain. We got here yesterday after a long day of traveling (drive to SF airport, plane to New York, plane to Madrid, and 6 hour bus to Granada). Thank goodness for dramamine.
I´m staying with one other girl from Folsom with the sweetest elderly couple. Se llaman George y Alicia Uribe. Mom, they loved the peanut brittle. We have our own room with the most spectacular view. You can see half the city and the lights twinkling at night. The city is spilled along the foothills on the bottom of the Sierra Nevadas. You can just see the snow still on the tops, from our window.
Today, after breakfast my roomate and I set out on a hunt for an internet cafe. It was a long hunt because we kept getting distracted by little shops along the way. There was this cute little shop run by a muslim lady who showed me how to wrap a hijab with the scarf and pin I bought.
Later today, we´re meeting as a group to go to the Alhambra. After that, we´re going to a flamenco performance in the gypsy caves just outside the city. I´m having a great time and can´t wait to have more to tell. Oh, and yeah water is more expensive than soda here.

4 comments:

horseygrandma said...

Dear Chilipina, we got your blog address from Kellie, and I love being able to communicate with you this way. Sorry that I missed your calls, Oh well, that is life. At least you were able to talk to Dad. We had a wildfire near us that started at the powerhouse on Electra Rd. Thankfully the wind died down and they were able to contain it within 24 hrs. We were on alert and ready to evacuate if needed. I have been watching HGTV and getting inspired to redecorate and declutter the house. I may be able to surprise you with my efforts. I am so glad that your trip has stared out so well. Hope you have fun at the caves. Sure am looking forward to some picures and stories of your adventures. Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

I TOLD you that you would find a better scarf in Spain than Turlock!! Always listen to the big bro!! The shop owners there are much friendlier and eager to assist you. Especially when they find out you are a foreigner and eager to learn about them. Enjoy every moment and remember...no ice (unless its filtered water). You and your backside will thank me!! Have a great time and talk to as many locals as you can. It will make your experience much more memorable. Love you sis.

Anonymous said...

Hi
While another place that I have not gone. I hope things are going okay with you and your class. Speaking spanish every moment. Remember, a small shop is not the same as a Thrift Store. How was Church. Mom says hi. I love you, write to you soon. DAD

Kellie said...

It sounds like you landed a wonderful host family. Will you stay with them the entire time? WE miss you but sure glad you are having a wonderful time.