The Alhambra was incredible! You could see the entire city. I got separated from the group while wandering the gardens and actually enjoyed myself much more because I wasn´t being rushed from room to room. Unfortunatelly, my camera battery died too soon that day, but my roomate said she´d send me her pictures. We went in kind of the back way through the fortress part through a door called ¨La Puerta de Justica¨ (the door of justice). It was so cool because way up on the building was the hand of Fatima, the daughter of Muhammed, an Arab symbol and just above the door was an esconce of the Virgin Mary.
That night we went to a barrio called Sacramonte, where the gypsies live. We were all crowded in a cave. I glanced down a hallway like tunnel and could see the bedroom and the kitchen. The danceing was ok, but I couldn´t see much of their feet because of the big guy in front of me. But the music, oh! The music was incredible. There was one guy with a guitar and the rest of the group, about six or seven, clapped in different beats. The effect and the amplification in the caves was better than surround sound, and the singing wasn´t like anything I´ve heard before.
That was Sunday? I don´t remember. Yesterday was the first day of classes. It was boring. Going over grammer is dull, but the conversation class if fun. It´s a little hard for a few of us to keep up because there are many in my class who speak much better than I, but I´m understanding more and more. After class my roomate and I went exploring and shopping then I called it an early night because I hurt my foot a few days ago and it´s just getting worse. She went out to a different flamenco performance and then out to the bars with the part of our group under 25. The way she described it, I wouldn´t have had fun. Getting drunk and lost at 3 in the morning, not my thing.
Well, I head back for lunch. Then I´m going the Plaza de las Ciencias - kind of a musuem, terrarium, planetarium, hands on kind of place with butterfly house too. Adios!
Óh yeah, Sunday was going to the beach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow!! I wish you had a way to post pictures on here right now. Sounds amazing. You'll have to put together a scrap book when you get home.
Wow sister, the fortress and the music sounds amazing. So school is boring? Hope the gramma gets easier. Your spanish will get easier I hope. Do you speak it all the time? How is your foot? Is it just a sprain, or do you have cut? Well, glad to know that you are taking care of yourself. Dad and I are doing some creative decorating here at hope. Hope to surpise you when you get home. All the animals are fine. We are having the grandkids over this weekend and hope to have another great time. Glad you are enjoying just about every moment. Love mom
Post a Comment